I teach Saxophone, Flute and Clarinet Lessons in Raleigh, Cary, Apex NC
My approach to teaching is to use the student’s interests and passions to help their learning move forward quickly. We first talk about what excites the student. The student and I list long-term and short-term goals that are realistic and reachable. I then create a course of study that supports these goals. During lessons we review these goals and track progress. We create new objectives as students reach old ones.
Engaged, energized students progress quickly. Students who are having fun tend to practice more. I encourage students to include fun tasks in their regular practice time. We reinforce this by including fun musical exercises in lessons. They do call it playing an instrument, after all!
“Mr. Parrish is an excellent instructor. Besides his extraordinary musical talent, he’s got an excellent way of relating to young people and engaging them in the wonder of music. If your student is looking for an instructor, our family highly recommends him!” – M. Carlson, Parent
This past year I had students earn placement in All-District Middle School Band, All-District High School Band, All District Middle School Jazz Band, All-District High School Jazz Band, All-State Honors Band and All-State Honors Jazz Band. I also taught Master Classes at Durham School of the Arts focusing on contemporary music and ensemble coaching.
Here are some of the areas of study I currently provide:
- Performance Fundamentals, technique and repertoire, Classical to Post-BeBop Jazz
- Contest Preparation, Solo and Ensemble, District and State Honors Bands, College Auditions
- Contemporary Music Theory, from scale construction through complex harmonic concepts
- Composition and Arranging, Understanding melody and harmony, counterpoint, arranging for the small and large ensemble
- Jazz Improvisation, beginning to advanced concepts and techniques
- Ensemble Coaching, chamber groups, jazz and rock music groups
Please see this page for Lesson Policies
Please contact me. I will be happy to set up a time to talk with and hear the prospective student. I look forward to hearing from you!